Tuesday, October 17, 2006

With the North Korean Nuke crisis burning up the headlines, I decided to do a bit of reading on the North's current state. I cam accross a travel log site that is quite interesting.

http://1stopkorea.com/index.htm?nk-trip3.htm~mainframe

If you are interested in what it is really like in the North, this is a great reference from a group of Americans that traveled there sometime between '99 and'02.

More to follow once I get completely done reading it.

Update -

My favorite antecdote from this travel log:

The next room contained more gifts from the South, including a Hyundai Grandeur donated by the former chairman of Hyundai (whose family is originally from the North). Mr. Huk asked me if I had ever seen one of these cars during my time in the South. When I said, "sure, my neighbor has one just like it," he gave me another one of his 'you have to be lying' looks. How could such a great gift, a gift implying so much respect, belong to some normal person like my neighbor? This was obviously a car reserved for the elite, capitalist oppressors, not some common car for the masses. When I told him I wished the chairman had given away a lot more so there'd be less traffic in the South he got fed up with my obvious lies, gave me a disgusted look and moved on to talk to someone else.


LOL, that is priceless...North Korea sounds like a nation of home schooled kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home